Thursday, July 17, 2014

SYTYCD Season 11 Top 18 Recap + Top 16 Reveal

First of all, following a rather mediocre week last Wednesday, tonight was one of the best shows in recent memory. Definitely makes me remember why I'll be so sad when this show gets canceled. Listen to my pleas, FOX!!

Misty Copeland is guest judge again, and she'll be back next week as well - maybe hinting at a permanent position for Misty at the judge's table? I sure hope so - between Mary's usually incomprehensible babbling to Nigel's bipolarity, it would be nice to have a rational force on the panel.

Opening Number
How It's Done - Choreography by Krystal Meraz and PHARSIDE



The choreographers are part of the "Academy of Villains", which, I think, was a crew competing in the audition episodes? Anyways, you know whenever the song of a piece is remixed/composed by District 78, you know the piece is gonna be completely insane. The 18 dancers were split into white chess pieces and black chess pieces and danced on a chess board. So cool. Emilio had a little solo and it looked like he might have slipped up, but it was still so incredible.

Bottom 6 Reveal

GUYS
1. Stanley
2. Emilio
3. Teddy

GIRLS
1. Emily
2. Bridget
3. Jourdan

I should play poker. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I predicted 5/6 dancers in the bottom - SHAZAM!

Jacque and Zack - HIP HOP
Choreography by Keone Madrid and Mariel Madrid - Stay With Me



I loved this routine, and reminded me a lot of Jeanine and Phillip's Mad routine in Season 5, with the floorwork at the beginning. I think Zack has a kind of humble strength that is an absolute asset with voters and with the competition in general, and Jacque keeps knocking everything out of the ballpark. Excited for this couple's future. In this performance we were also given an inside look to the (blossoming?) romance between Jacque and Rudy - ow ow.

Jourdan and Marcquet - CONTEMPORARY
Choreography by Dee Caspary - Disappear



I usually love Dee's choreography (see: Melanie and Marko's Skin and Bones) but this felt like nothing too memorable. Marcquet definitely outshone Jourdan in this piece, although it should technically be easier for her. I think Jourdan just has performance issues, or more specifically issues relaying emotion through performance? Kind of disappointed Dee didn't tell her to stop friggin smiling the whole time. Marcquet looked really good in the group performance as well, so hopefully he gets to showcase his genius before he gets kicked off.

Jessica and Stanley - JAZZ
Choreography by Tyce Diorio - Funkier Than a Mosquito's Tweeter



Oh, Tyce. When you're not so impressed with yourself your choreography is usually pretty great, but the notion for this routine was just bizarre. Jessica and Stanley were supposed to be on a flying carpet, and were supposed to relay the feeling that they were flying. Although well-danced, the movement in no way said "flying" or "in the clouds" - sorry Tyce. Misty pointed out to Jessica issues with her face while performing, which I think was critique well-deserved. I'm not sure what's the magic needed for Jessica to pull of another Jessica-et-Ricky-esque performance, but it definitely was not there tonight.

Bridget and Emilio - JIVE
Choreography by Anya Garnis and Pasha Kovalev - Happy



Jive is one of my favourite ballroom styles to see performed - it just looks like a ton of fun to perform, and it's definitely fun to watch. Bridget and Emilio definitely stepped up, and I'm glad Nigel et al didn't slaughter Emilio for having next to no classical or ballroom dance technique training. Fun, upbeat, completely enjoyable.

Emily and Teddy - CONTEMPORARY
Choreography by Tyce Diorio - Ne Me Quitte Pas



Not much to say - beautiful contemporary, nice to see Emily in her own genre and will hopefully popularize her a little bit with voters. Teddy is easily growing into a very strong competitor. Nigel had to plug how smart and educated he was with some useless poem verse or something relating to the piece. Who knows.

Brooklyn and Casey - JAZZ
Choreography by Bonnie Story - Crazy Little Thing Called Love



This just showed the difference between Casey's technical training and Brooklyn's technical training. Maybe I'm being too harsh on Brooklyn because it seems like she's only ever trained in ballroom, but the gap between the ability of the two was pretty wide tonight. Casey's pirouettes are all I ever want to have in life.

Valerie and Ricky - VIENNESE WALTZ
Choreography by Lacey Schwimmer - I Won't Give Up



When one Schwimmer fails, bring in another one? Besides Valerie's dress looking like something they pulled off a 19th-century corpse, it was a very pretty waltz, and I'm glad Lacey gave Ricky stuff to do in the choreography as well (arabesques, batements, etc), when in a waltz usually the guy kinda just supports the girl. Was it standing-ovation worthy? Not sure. But in the judges' eyes, Ricky can do no wrong.

Carly and Serge - HIP HOP
Choreography by Luther Brown - Senile



Definitely one of my favourite Luther Brown numbers. Maybe he subconciously heard my pleas last week and ditched the tight black leather he loves in his numbers so much. Carly killed it, and Serge found his way too. Very entertaining, and no one still has no idea what the hell Nigel is talking about half the time. "Well, I'm not sure why I'm getting booed!" Just critique and praise the dancers, Nigel. Don't go off on tangents about the choreography when you don't know how to critique.

Tanisha and Rudy - BROADWAY
Choreography by Warren Carlyle - Sing Sing Sing



Rudy had a couple trip ups, but overall wonderful piece. Very high-energy and captivating, and extra points to Warren Carlyle for using a song from Fosse.





TOP 18 PARTNER RANKINGS

Last week it was hard deciding who had the worst piece. Opposite problem this week.

1. Tanisha and Rudy
2. Bridget and Emilio
3. Carly and Serge
4. Valerie and Ricky
5. Emily and Teddy
6. Jacque and Zack
7. Brooklyn and Casey
8. Jourdan and Marcquet
9. Jessica and Stanley

Stanley and Jourdan end up going home, which I believe was the right decision. I would have liked to see Stanley's full potential, though, because I felt like we never saw it. I feel bad for Jessica, though, who has to be shuttled around to her 3rd partner next week - Marcquet. Hopefully they'll pull something good.






















BOTTOM 6 PREDICTIONS NEXT WEEK
GIRLS
1. Brooklyn
2. Jessica
3. Emily

Otherwise I'd say Jacque would be in the Bottom 6, but her Rudy-Romance story should keep her in this week with voters. Rudy even said "She's perfect" on national TV. Marry that man, Jacque.

GUYS - this was super hard to predict. Who knows.
1. Marcquet
2. Teddy
3. Emilio

Oh, also, A Great Big World performed last night on the show. I almost cried my eyes out. Too bad we couldn't give them a moment after the performance, as soon as the last note on the piano was played, Cat was like "OOOOOKAy well moving right along!! Next we'll see voted off the two people who got bashed the most tonight!" Or something like that.





4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great reviews each week!!! I was very surprised to see Teddy and Emilio in the bottom, as I thought they had great performances last week (Teddy, especially. I have no idea why that kid is growing on me, but my goodness he is!!) The girls were not a surprise at all, however, and at the end of the night, I think they made the right decision as well. Way to telegraph the verdicts in the critiques though, jiiiddgess!! But then again, they have always done that, lol ;) I looooove Misty and do hope she becomes a semi-permanent judge! As for the night's routines, my faves were Zack and Jacq's (teehee), but only after rewatching a few times. I think you are so right about Zack's quiet humility and strength - he might be my top 1 or 2 boy. He can easily fade though, bc he doesn't have the omg personality of Rudy or do-no-wrongness of Ricky, so I hope he sticks around. Jacque is awfully cute and that thing with Rudy may endear her to the fans, or scare off the fan-girls, lol. I think they are going to be a very versatile couple. I FRIGGIN LOVED Luther Brown's skeleton hip-hop, but I swear, I could only see Carly. That girl SLAYED. I really had no idea who she was until this week, and now she is like my idol, lol. Serge kept up for sure, but I thought he was only ok - he is not a fave, for me, generally, but he is undeniably talented. Ricky and Valerie's VW was super dreamy and pretty, but I feel myself starting to get that pang of resenting the clear faves and those getting "you are the best" narratives. I don't think it was S.O. worthy - although Valerie did look very lovely. I also really loved Teddy and Emily's contemporary. Tyce makes a lot of mistakes, but sometimes he can pull out a decent routine, and I thought their quiet routine was gorgeous. Not, you know, "Bang, Bang" levels of quiet gorgeousness, but somewhere a few blocks away. Tyce needs not to shout out "YASSSSSSS" in the middle of said quiet routine, though - WTF?!?! I like Emily's strength as a dancer, and she did a much better job committing to the "truth" of the piece and connecting to Teddy than she did last week. As I said, Teddy is growing on me - he might be my fave guy, actually!! how did this happen? - and I was so happy with his performance. That he taps and has trained in other genres really interests me, and I want to see more of what he can do. I also just want to see him be Ivan-lite all day long!! I hope he is ok for next week. The finale Broadway routine was wonderful!! But Rudy bugs me for some reason - something about over-gregarious ppl, maybe? I am such a bitter person, I guess, lol!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elci!! So nice to see you back :) I agree with so much of your comment, especially re: Tyce and his shouting out. Who the hell knows what goes through his mind.

      On Rudy - he strikes me as one of those people with a heart of gold but is a little slow on social cues, maybe? (Ahahha does that even make sense?) Who knows. I do see where you're coming from though, as his responses can come across as a little obnoxious.

      Overall I'm really excited for this season! I agree with you, and hope that Zack won't get lost within the forest of bigger personalities this year.

      Delete
    2. LOL I didn't mean to sound like a beeettch around Rudy. He seems very adorable and sweet, maybe a taaaddd intense ;) I meant he just has a broad personality, and I can see that endearing lots of youngins to him, or possibly grating old bitter ladies like me. And I am glad to see you back!! I just read your post about the Emmy noms and, you know, of course I am RIGHT there with you in the continued Paul love. I think he is just wrapping up tour with Derek and Julianne Hough, and I couldn't be more proud!! ;) Thanks again for your great reviews!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete